Wednesday, December 17, 2008

#8 The Arms of Love



You never truly realize just how much a baby needs other people until you parent one. Everything about them requires constant attention. Fortunately this baby boy has two parents who could not make their way at raising him alone if they wanted to.

Among a hundred or so pictures of someone else looking after our son, I come across this one. Two looks on two faces speak beyond words. In a loved uncle I see someone I trust, someone I admire, someone in whose arms I willingly place my dearest treasure. In a resting son I see comfort suggesting that same trust, maybe someday even that same admiration.

What else I see wrapped up in this hammocked embrace is a man who would gladly do exactly what he is doing whether I asked him to or not. There are no expressions to convey what that means to me, that so many people in our lives not only tolerate or even accept Buxton, but love him dearly. This moment belongs to an uncle and a nephew. It is mine to see, but theirs to savor.

I feel somewhat like an intruder within it, happy to do both.

No comments: