Wednesday, December 24, 2008

#1 No Time Like the First Time



In an instant our camera shuttered, and not a moment since left any doubt as to my favorite picture of Buxton. Fancier cameras may take sharper images. Skilled photographers surely come away with better shots. But I have a hard time believing there ever will be a photograph I love more than this one.

When this picture snapped, only Anna and I knew Buxton by name. When this picture snapped, only a midwife and a handful of helpers even joined us in knowing he was born. When this picture snapped, Buxton had no idea what in the world was happening except that he--somehow--rested in the arms of his mother.

I see every bit of that picture when I look at it. I see how scared and uncertain we were, too. I see how much changed between that time and this one. Maybe for that reason, most of all, I treasure this image. On this Christmas Eve, a time already set aside for gifts unlike any other, I continue to treasure it--and, in the truest sense of Christmas, share it with others.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I am in tears of joy from your words of happiness about such a single moment. It is a true miracle to be a parent....an even bigger miracle to strive to become the best one you can. Merry Christmas to ALL of you this year.

Amanda said...

You have a true gift with words! I have enjoyed your thoughts as much as the pictures.

Big Play said...

Thanks Amanda. Unfortunately, my mom has no such gift as evidenced by her comments to your husband yesterday.