Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Living Forever

A television program last night caught my attention. Scientists and researchers around the world, evidently, believe the human aging process can be significantly slowed if not eliminated entirely. A baby born today, they say, could live to 150 years or even 1,000. Science says so, they say.

So I wonder. Say they are right. Say there is some pill one could take or some man made vital organs one could use interchangeably with the originals. Say the choice to live ten times longer than parents or grandparents could have dreamed came conveniently in a tiny plastic bottle or a simple surgery.

Would you do it? The overwhelming mass of humanity no doubt screams that it would, save perhaps that conveniently forgettable portion for which daily life is somewhat less than appealing. But this question is for people who never endure poverty, starvation or any of the other human plagues. This question is for the believer who smiles every Sunday morning from the center section of a Christian church.

Would you do it? Does the Christian faith coexist with such a desire for longevity? Or would prolonging this temporal life necessarily reveal a lack of faith so celebrated by the believer? Does one who believes fervently in the message of Christ have any desire to endure on earth?

Would you do it?

1 comment:

MandM Mom said...

Just reading your comment as I am new to blogging. This for me would depend on the quality of my life. If I could feel the same at 100 that I currently do at 40, heck yes. If I felt 100 I would have to say doubt it. It's a very interesting concept though.