Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Buxton Thomas Marks!

So it finally happened. I knew it would. It took two months, two weeks and four days, but it happened. It happened slowly and deliberately, and with enough of what seemed like laughter to suggest better things. But it happened. The boy's mother used his full name.

Buxton...Thomas...Marks!

For the benefit of anyone without children or anyone so far removed from having them that certain parts of their memory are blocked out to protect the rest, I will spare the details of what our son did to get his entire name called out slowly by his mother. Suffice it to say only that there are few things a two-month-old baby can do wrong and I found a hue of green today that does not naturally occur in nature.

We each got a laugh out of it, and in a less-publicized context I would be happy to share more. And while I was the one taking care of the situation, the one calling from another room for others to come and see, I am glad to be part of what happened tonight. Because there will be worse times when his entire name is called. And I can only hope in those moments to remember this one, when the worst we had to deal with was the worst we had ever seen.

1 comment:

EJ & Roo said...

i can hear her saying it now.