Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wedding Bells

So Anna and I went to a wedding this weekend in Hartsville. The couple--friends of Anna's from college who've become my friends in recent years also--had a wonderful weekend and once we get the technical stuff worked out, we'll post a picture or two.

Now it's probably not the manliest venture to admit what I'm about to, somewhere akin to saying you enjoy your feet rubbed or like to play with dolls, but weddings always get me thinking. As I listen to wedding vows these two years since Anna and I exchanged ours, I pay attention to the words and the often Biblical truth guiding them. Then I think--again, not the manliest part coming up here--about whether those words spoken would apply to my relationship with my wife. I think of our vows, and whether I'm living up to them.

So why am I typing these thoughts on a blog about the baby? Well, someone told me once that the best gift a father can give his child is to show the child his or her mother is loved. I hope to give that gift, to show this little boy's mommy I love her.

Ok, so a few funny moments from the wedding:

1) I made up a quotation that can't be repeated, either verbally or electronically.
2) Anna and I both learned a new term--perhaps my new favorite--for flatulence.
3) I considered how many years should pass before I make fun of my son for having been a bridesmaid/wearing a bridesmaid dress in a wedding. Holden and my dad being the world's oldest ring bearers doesn't seem so bad now.
4) The bride and groom un-pimped their ride big time somewhere during the reception. They showed up to the weddingfest in a stretch Hummer limo. They left in my Chrysler Seabring. Having listened to the essential Lionel Richie all the way from Florence, I had more than ample tunage for the occasion, but even Lionel can't turn a Seabring into a Hummer.

No comments: